Massachusetts boasts a considerable array of record stores, serving as a haven for music enthusiasts. These music shops not only offer an extensive selection of records but also provide an assortment of other items such as clocks, turntables, accessories, used records, gift cards, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, T-shirts, Incense, CBD products, Patches & Stickers, Hats, and Sound Speakers, including Bluetooth Speakers.
Within the borders of Massachusetts, there are several remarkable stores that are worth exploring. Exceptional record shops can be found in various locations, including Brookline, Cambridge, Allston, Brighton, and Boston.
A retail establishment specializing in the sale of recorded music is commonly referred to as a record store. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, record stores primarily offered gramophone records. However, as the 20th century progressed, new formats such as eight-track tapes, compact cassettes, and CDs became available for purchase.
1. Village Vinyl & Hi Fi – Brookline, Massachusetts
Situated in Boston’s Coolidge Corner neighborhood, Village Vinyl and Hi-Fi store offers a wide range of high-quality records and audio equipment at affordable prices.
This store caters to the diverse musical preferences of its customers, featuring an extensive collection that spans across genres, from jazz to blues, electronica to heavy metal, and hip-hop to classical. The records available in the store come in various conditions, ranging from good to mint. Additionally, customers can explore their Discogs store to find even more options.
- Store Hours: Open every day from 12 pm to 8 pm
- Contact: (617) 396-8958
- Nearby attractions: Hall’s Pond Sanctuary, Amory Park Bridge
- Nearby Parking Lots: Coolidge Corner Centre St Parking, 40 Centre Street parking
Address: 307 Harvard Street Brookline, Massachusetts 02446.
2. Looney Tunes – Allston, MA
Established in 1971, Looney Tunes has proudly maintained its presence in West Babylon, New York. This family-owned independent business has become a cherished local institution.
With a passion for supporting artists, Looney Tunes regularly hosts live performances and autograph signings within their store. They offer a wide range of products, including vinyl records, CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, posters, T-shirts, incense, CBD products, patches, stickers, hats, turntables, sound speakers, Bluetooth speakers, and clocks.
- Operating hours: Tuesday to Sunday, 12 pm to 8:30 pm. Closed on Mondays.
- Contact: 617-549-5067
- Nearby attractions: American Airpower Museum, Belmont Lake State Park
- Nearby parking lots: Locust Avenue Parking (near Babylon LIRR), 50 E Hoffman Ave Parking
Address: 16 Harvard Ave, Allston, MA, US 02134
3. Famtyze Entertainment.Inc – Brighton, Massachusetts
Located at 16 Fidelis Way in Brighton, Massachusetts 02135, Famtyze Entertainment.Inc is a music management and promotion company. This versatile production company also offers records, clothing, and serves as a music publisher. With their vibrant energy, they excel in their industry.
- Operating hours: Open every day except Sunday, from 10 am to 8 pm.
- Contact: 857-384-2746
- Nearby attractions: Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Nearby parking lots: Elks Parking Brighton, St Elizabeth Parking
Address: 16 Fidelis Way, Brighton, MA 02135, USA
4. Nuggets – Boston, MA
For over four decades, Nuggets has been a prominent establishment since its establishment in 1978. They specialize in acquiring unique vinyl records, CDs, DVDs, and cassettes, including rare and out-of-print items. Nuggets offers a Buy, Sell & Trade service for vinyl records, compact discs, videos, and cassettes.
- Operating hours: Tuesday to Saturday, 11:30 am to 7 pm; Sunday, 12 noon to 5 pm
- Closed: Mondays
- Contact: (617) 536-0679, [email protected]
- Nearby attractions: Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Nearby parking lots: 1358-1380 Boylston St Parking, Webster Street Parking
Address: Kenmore Square, 486 Commonwealth Ave, Boston, MA 02215
5. Affordable Records – Cambridge, MA
Affordable Records is a renowned record store located in the heart of Cambridge. The store is bustling with knowledgeable enthusiasts and boasts an extensive collection of vinyl, CDs, cassettes, DVDs, and various other items. Whether you’re in search of Oldies, Cajun, Soul, Jazz, Folk, Classical, Blues, Hip Hop, Disco, Rock, or Soundtracks, you’ll find a plethora of specific records at this remarkable establishment. Cheapo Records has been a staple in Central Square since 1954, serving music lovers with its diverse selection.
- Operating Hours: Monday to Wednesday: 11 am to 7 pm, Thursday to Friday: 11 am to 8 pm, Saturday: 11 am to 7 pm & Sunday: 11 am to 5 pm
- Contact Information: 617-354-4455
- Nearby Attractions: Boston Common, Charles River Esplanade
- Closest Parking Lots: Green Street Garage, Central Square Parking Lot
Address: 538 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139
6. Sound Wave Records – Somerville, Massachusetts
Sound Wave Records, a beloved record store established in Somerville since 1982, has become a cherished destination for music enthusiasts. The store not only sells Records, CDs, 78s, Wood Shelving, Books, Postcards, and an array of other items but also offers a unique opportunity to sell your own record collection by appointment. With an exceptional collection, Sound Wave Records stands among the best in the region.
- Operating Hours: Monday to Saturday: 10 am to 7 pm, Sunday: 10 am to 5 pm
- Phone: 617-764-0284
- Email: [email protected]
- Nearby Attractions: Danehy Park, The Harvard Museum of Natural History
- Closest Parking Lots: 2400 Massachusetts Ave Parking, City of Somerville Magoun Square-CVS Public Parking Lot
Address: 736 Broadway, Somerville, MA 02144
7. Planet Records – Cambridge, MA
Planet Records serves as a haven for devoted record enthusiasts and was established in 1983 at Kenmore Square. Presently located at 144 Mt. Auburn St. in Cambridge, Massachusetts, this establishment offers an impressive array of high-quality LPs, CDs, cassettes, DVDs, and music books. It has earned a reputation as the preferred destination for both serious collectors and casual music consumers alike.
The selection at Planet Records is thoughtfully curated to consistently captivate customers and reflects their exceptionally high standards. With new inventory introduced daily, they boast a depth that sets them apart from other retailers. Regardless of genre, all types of music are well-represented in their collection.
At Planet Records, their dedicated team is readily available to provide assistance. They typically have knowledgeable buyers on hand, prepared to offer cash or trade in exchange for your collection.
- Operating hours: Open every day from 11 am to 6 pm.
- Phone: (617) 492-0693,
- Email: [email protected]
- Nearby attractions: Harvard Square, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Nearby parking lots: Soldiers Field Parking Garage, Harvard Square Parking Garage
Address: 144 Mt Auburn St, Cambridge, MA 02138
8. Wanna Hear It Records – Watertown, Massachusetts
Established in 2020, Wanna Hear It Records is a music lover’s paradise. This unique record store specializes in carrying vinyl records across various genres, including punk, hardcore, metal, indie rock, and more, both in new and used formats.
In addition to their impressive music selection, Wanna Hear It Records also offers products from independent brands based in the United States. These products encompass a diverse range, from candles and purses to tees and vinyl pins. What sets these brands apart is that they are all owned and developed by members of the music industry.
- Operating hours: Tuesday to Wednesday: 12 pm – 6 pm, Thursday: 12 am – 7 pm, Friday to Saturday: 11 am – 7 pm & Sunday: 11 am – 6 pm
- Monday: CLOSED
- Phone: (617) 744-1743,
- Email: [email protected]
- Nearby attractions: Danehy Park, Charles River Museum of Industry & Innovation
- Nearby parking lots: Republic Parking, MAH Parking Garage
Address: 117A Galen St., Watertown, MA. 02472
9. Joe’s Albums – Worcester, MA
Renowned for its exceptional customer service and affordable pricing, Joe’s Albums is a highly regarded record store located in Worcester. They offer a diverse range of products, including records, equipment, accessories, and gift cards. In April 2010, they launched their website, and about 18 months later, they opened their physical store. In September 2016, the store relocated to its current venue, a historic performance space celebrated for its outstanding acoustics. Joe’s Albums now has two locations, serving Worcester and Northampton.
- Operating hours: Open every day from 10 am to 6 pm.
- Phone: (508) 796-5352,
- Email: [email protected]
- Nearby attractions: Live Action Escapes, EcoTarium
- Nearby parking lots: Mercantile Center Garage, Worcester Common Garage
Address: 317 Main Street, Worcester, MA
10. Enigmatic Train Records – Gloucester, MA
Situated in Harvard Square, Cambridge, Mystery Train embarked on its journey over three decades ago, focusing solely on the sale of vintage vinyl records. Originally nested within Oona’s secondhand clothing store, this establishment has flourished and expanded, now boasting five locations. Eventually, it found its permanent home in a spacious venue in Gloucester, Massachusetts.
Mystery Train’s mission is to continuously provide captivating vinyl records to both current and future generations of avid record enthusiasts!
- Operating Hours: Open daily from 10 am to 6 pm
- Contact Information: 978-281-8911, [email protected]
- Nearby Attractions: Halibut Point State Park, Cape Ann Museum
- Nearby Parking Lots: City Lot, I4C2 Parking
Address: 21 Main Street, Gloucester, MA 01930
11. Revolve Those Records – Springfield, Massachusetts
Revolve Those Records stands as the sole vintage vinyl record shop in Springfield, Massachusetts. Within this establishment, a diverse collection of records spanning various genres, including jazz and classic rock, is available for purchase. Additionally, customers can explore retro turntables and other audio equipment.
Founded on June 1st, 2014, Revolve Those Records is a family-owned business operated by Giovanny Zuniga and his son Gianni.
- Operating Hours: Tuesday – Saturday 11 am-6 pm, Sunday 12 pm-5 pm
- Monday: Closed
- Contact Information: 413-273-1530
- Nearby Attractions: Springfield Museums, Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden
- Nearby Parking Lots: F-Lot, Executive Parking Inc
Address: 671 Dickinson St Springfield, Massachusetts 01108
12. Immediate Karma Records – Orleans, MA
Positioned in Orleans, Massachusetts, Immediate Karma Records resides within a picturesque and historically significant old Victorian house on 6A. Following its establishment in 1990, the store expanded to include a poster business called POSTER ART, as well as an antique shop catering to the baby boomer generation, known as OLD & IN THE WAY.
All the vinyl available at Immediate Karma Records, excluding the items in the clearance section, undergoes a meticulous process of hand-cleaning, grading, and sleeving. This ensures that all vintage records sold online have undergone this high standard of care.
- Hours: Monday to Saturday: 10 am – 6 pm, Sunday: 10 am – 5 pm
- Contact: +15082407166, [email protected]
- Nearby attractions: Jonathan Young Windmill, French Cable Station Museum
- Nearby Parking Lots: Cape Cod Rail Trail parking, Boat Meadow Landing
Address: 121 MA-6A, Orleans, MA 02653, United States
13. The Vinyl Vault – Littleton, MA
The Vinyl Vault is a record store located in Littleton, Massachusetts. It offers an extensive selection of records, catering to various genres. The entire store is brimming with an exceptional collection of jazz, while the main level showcases a diverse range of Rock, Pop, Blues, as well as a limited assortment of Electronic, Metal, and Soundtracks.
At The Vinyl Vault, customers can both buy and sell a wide variety of records. The basement is dedicated to housing an extensive jazz collection, while the main level features an impressive assortment of Rock, Pop, Blues, as well as a limited selection of Electronic, Metal, and Soundtracks.
- Operating Hours: Wednesday to Sunday: 11 am to 5 pm.
- Closed: Monday and Tuesday.
- Contact: +1 978-486-0804, [email protected]
- Nearby attractions: Discovery Museum, Louisa May Alcott’s Orchard House
- Nearby Parking Lots: 7 Lan Drive Parking, Littleton / RTE 495
Address: 482 King St, Littleton, MA, United States of America.
14. Deja Vu Records – Natick, MA
Deja Vu Records established its store in Natick, Massachusetts. They initially opened their wholesale location in 1988 and have remained there ever since.
At present, 30% of our clientele comprises retail customers, while the remaining 70% are wholesale buyers. Deja Vu Records sources records from individuals, estates, and collectors. Customers are encouraged to allow sufficient time, around an hour or two, to thoroughly examine each batch of records before finalizing their prices. The more purchases you make, the better the pricing becomes. They offer worldwide delivery services.
- Operating Hours: Open every day except Sunday from 11 am to 6 pm.
- Contact: (508)-653-6921
- Nearby attractions: Mass Audubon’s Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary, John J. Lane Park
- Nearby Parking Lots: Founders Lot, Republic Parking (West Natick Parking)
Address: 154 E Central St, Natick, MA, 01760, United States of America.
Massachusetts offers a remarkable destination for avid record collectors with its array of record stores, namely Planet Records, Armageddon, Blue Bag, Cheapos, and Stereo Jack’s. The proximity between Stereo Jack’s and Cheapos is merely a single T stop away, with a convenient fifteen-minute stroll up Mass Ave.
Venturing past Porter Square, you’ll discover the treasure trove of Blue Bag Records. Furthermore, establishments like In Your Ear, Nuggets, and Orpheus proudly uphold Boston’s rich musical heritage, spanning across the river. Massachusetts boasts a multitude of record stores, providing ample opportunities for enthusiastic record hunters to indulge in their passion.